Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Intravenous (IV) Therapy Course
This class is designed to assist EMTs in building the hands-on skills need to successfully start an IV and develop decision-making skills critical in IV therapy.
Please know that enrollment into the EMT-IV course is a two step process. This process includes registering and minimum payment as well as completion and submission of the downloaded course application and background check form. To complete the second step, an admission packet will be emailed to you. This packet needs to be completed and returned to INHS. Should the applicant complete both of these steps and meet the minimum requirements, they are considered accepted and enrolled in the program.
This course consists of 44 hours of classroom and hands-on skills sessions. The student must also complete a field internship rotation where they will assist with assessments, management of patients and successfully complete a minimum of ten (10) IV insertions. Students who successfully complete this course will be eligible to take the final practical examination and the final written course completion examination.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- use the principles of anatomy and physiology as a foundation for clinical practice of out of hospital emergency medicine.
- explain and demonstrate critical thinking skills, decision making skills, and assessment Based Patient Care
- utilize the assessment findings to formulate a field impression and implement the treatment plan for the bleeding patient or the patient in shock
- successfully insert and intravenous and intraosseous needle insertion
Classroom Hours: 44 (includes – didactic and hands-on skills lab)
Field Internship Rotation: 12-24
Total Required Hours: 56-68
- Be a certified EMT for a minimum of one (1) year
- Hold a current CPR course completion card at the American Heart Association "Healthcare Provider” level or the American Red Cross "CPR for the Professional Rescuer” level.
*All INHS is completely Tobacco/smoke-free, both indoors and outdoors-for all employees, customers and patients. This includes our parking areas and the vehicles parked there. This covers all tobacco products including e-cigs and chewing tobacco, and extends to everyone - patients, visitors, employees, students and vendors.
|INHS EMT-IV Application||Complete EMT IV Appl...pdf|